If you’re barbecuing steak tonight, this is the salad to make! Fresh ripe tomatoes, grilled onions, topped with an incredible blue cheese dressing.
6 medium heirloom tomatoes, sliced
1 Vidalia onion, sliced
2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
1 head of Boston lettuce
For the dressing:
1/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
¼ cup of blue cheese, crumbled
kosher salt and black pepper
1) Remove cores from tomatoes, turn onto sides and slice, ¼” thick. Reserve.
2) Turn onion on its side and slice into four even rings, about ¼” thick. Lay the slices flat on your work surface and carefully drive a metal brochette through the onion rings to secure them. Drive a second brochette through the onions in the same fashion.
3) Preheat barbecue to medium-high, about 450°F. Whisk 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil with the balsamic vinegar and brush onto the prepared onions. Transfer to hot barbecue and grill until they soften and caramelize. Brush with additional oil and vinegar mixture as required. Remove from grill and carefully remove brochettes. Separate into rings by hand.
4) Assemble the salad: Place a few leaves of Boston lettuce down onto the presentation plate or platter. Add a layer of sliced tomatoes in an attractive fashion. Sprinkle tomatoes with grilled onions and a pinch of kosher salt. Add another layer of tomatoes, onion and salt. Continue until all tomatoes and onion are used.
5) Prepare dressing: Place ingredients for dressing into a small bowl and gently whisk together, leaving small chunks of blue cheese still visible.
6) Spoon dressing over salad. Sprinkle with black pepper and serve.